As Albert Einstein’s famous line states: “insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.”
Is your past holding you back?
1. You refer back to the past or how you use to do things.
2. You continuously seek the same jobs, relationships or habits over and over.
3. You allow those who are not benefiting you back in your life continually.
4. You fear change.
5. You compare yourself, job or relationship to past ones.
6. You are not flexible with differences.
7. You are not willing to step out of your comfort zone.
8. You continue to point blame.
I remember when I first moved to Raleigh NC in 2013, I ended up taking a job working for Merrill Lynch. Even though something in my heart told me I needed to pursue keynote speaking, I decided to play it “safe” and revert to what I had studied in the past in college, which was financed. So after working at Merrill Lynch for a few short months, I ended up being let go because I was not passing the practice exams to prepare to take the series seven license test to be a certified financial planner.
So after being let go from that job, I decided to revert to my past again, taking a job working for a construction brand in the Raleigh area. After less than a week of being there, I was being let go, as the company was in financial hardship and decided to close its doors! After that experience I said the hell with this, I have nothing to lose, I’m going to pursue my vision of being a keynote speaker! Fast forward a little over five years, today I am where I want to be doing what I want to do!
Living in the past never allows you to achieve your visions. It would be best if you were willing to accept what has happened, learn from it and remove yourself from being the victim of those incidents. Unfortunately, we often find ourselves holding onto the past because it is comfortable and we have made it a part of our identity. It’s harder to work through a change to see growth verse just accepting the pain of the past.
Ways you can work on letting go of the past:
1. Let go of self-sabotaging thoughts, words, and actions.
2. Let go of trying to control others.
3. Let go of the fear of failures.
4. Let go of stressing about what others will think.
5. Let go of holding onto your thoughts and opinions.
6. Let go of attaching emotions to the outcomes.
7. Let go of letting others control your actions.
You can not change your past, however your future is yours to create…
Is FEAR holding you back…click HERE
Marques Ogden, Keynote Speaker